These are different.
These are MUCH better than your traditional sausage ball.
Try it. I dare you.
My mom has always made sausage balls a little different than the “traditional” sausage ball (see the traditional sausage ball recipe here).
The main difference? She cooks the sausage before she bakes the balls. She also uses a mini-muffin pan to bake them. Yes, we could call them “Sausage Mini-Muffins” but why change what we have called them for years just because of an inferior recipe that is floating around.
So, I am going to call these “Gran’s Sausage Balls.”
1 lb pork breakfast sausage
*1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
*1 cup milk
*1 cup baking mix
*You may need a bit more of the last three ingredients because you will add it until everything looks correct.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage and drain.
- Combine in a bowl sausage, cheese, milk and baking mix. Mix well. A sticky dough should form.
- Feel free and add more cheese and other ingredients if you are one that likes it more cheesy. The end consistency should be a wet, sticky mess.
- Grease your mini-muffin pan with cooking spray. If you don’t have a mini-muffin pan you can use a cookie sheet.
- Using a spoon (or a cookie dough scooper) scoop about a tablespoon into each muffin cup or form some into balls and place on cookie sheet (similar to drop cookies). Space an inch or two apart if using a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 11-15 minutes, depending on your oven and the amount you put per ball.
- Serve warm or, once cooled, you can reheat them in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds.
Cook time is about 30 minutes.
Yields about 32-46 sausage balls, depending on the size.